Thursday, October 30, 2008
1) I'm crazy for stationery supplies....notecards, paper, colored paperclips and rubberbands, funky post-it notes, different tacks, etc. And my FAVORITE: journals! I just drool over them (well I try not to unless I pay for it first! LOL)
2) I never realized how close-minded I was until I went through my divorce. Since then, my whole world has opened up. I really wouldn't go back or trade it for anything. It was the most painful thing I went through but out of it came a better person (me) whom I'm actually starting to like.
3) I'm learning that dreams really do come true, even the simple ones. Since I was a little girl I've always wanted both a beagle and a dachsund at the same time. And I have them now, and the cool thing is I didn't plan it that way. I just happened to stumble across both doggies!
4) I've been keeping this private for the sake of argument and people trying to force their own personal views on me, but here it is: I'M VOTING FOR BARACK OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT! I'm pro-life, pro-family, but this country is in need of some serious change. I'm learning that swimming against the tide isn't always a bad thing, but sometimes quite necessary.
5) I find myself recently fascinated with a part of the world that always intimidated me......Greece, Turkey, Cyprus, the Middle East, Morocco. I wonder if I'll end up there some day? I was reading in my Bible this morning from the Book of Acts in the New Testament. I got out my Bible map and was surprised to see many of those places were where Paul's journeys took him. Kinda wild!
6) I love the song, "Suddenly Seymour" from Little Shop of Horrors (okay, that was REALLY random! LOL)
Ok, now I pick 6 people:
1. Link to the person or persons who tagged you.
2. Post the rules on your blog.
3. Write six random things about yourself.
4. Tag six people at the end of your post and link to them.
5. Let each person know they’ve been tagged and leave a comment on their blog.
6. Let the tagger know when your entry is up.
I have always had an aversion to vegetables. Growing up, I only liked peas and lima beans because they were easy to swallow whole! As I grew older, peer pressure (i.e., not wanting to look like a fool in front of my friends) caused me to go out on a limb and try new things. So I do eat a few healthy things, but still whenever I would diet, I would think of veggies as the enemy!
Since I've been meeting with Rachel, my nutrition guru, her excitement about healthy things has been catching!
Yay! It turned out like sweet potato pie. I threw in some vanilla, cinnamon, and browns sugar. Delicious! Now I'm excited about trying more different things.
Wednesday, October 29, 2008
Emily shows off her colors from her visit to the orthodontist yesterday. Smart girl opted against the Halloween colors as her next appointment is not until December 9th!
Last weekend I went with a friend to the Illinois Ladies Retreat (a church thing) in Bloomington, Illinois. Along the way we stopped at Blue Springs Cafe in Highland, Illinois. Delicious home cooking and home of the Foot Hi Pie. (I stand corrected as I always call them "Mile High" pies!)
This was on the wall at violin lessons, so I had to snap a pic of it! :o)
Monday, October 27, 2008
I love crunching through the leaves on a warm, fall day. As a kid, once mid-September hit, Mom never allowed us outdoors barefoot, even if the weather was warm. So I didn't get to experience barefoot leaf-crunching until I was an adult!
Monday, October 20, 2008
All day at work I was actually looking forward to getting home and finishing this job. I'm so pleased with it! And besides having room to park the car AND finding the missing garage door remote, guess what else I found??? My missing Disney World pics!! Yay!! We went there at Christmas in 2000 and I have torn the house apart looking for them. I was beginning to fear I had accidentally thrown them away. But there they were, tucked away in a box in the corner!
I love this self-portrait Em took. It reminds me of a Nancy Drew cover! Emily McConnell and the Case of the Missing Jonas Brother. LOL!!
Sunday, October 19, 2008
(My daisies from Sue hung in there for a long time, brightening my kitchen. What a good start to each day with this pretty sight each morning!)
All throughout the summer, I have parked the car in the driveway and the garage quickly became a catch-all. Now with the weather cooling down, I'm not looking forward to scraping frost or ice off the windows, so it's time to make room for the car!
Oh my - does this not look like one of those photos where a tornado just came through?! Last fall when I had the garage door fixed, I literally just threw stuff towards the back of the garage to squeeze my car in. This time I thought I'd better do it right!
I'm about halfway done, but it's looking good and I'm getting rid of a TON of clutter and old memories that no longer serve any purpose in my life.
I reflect upon a year ago. I was newly separated and still very much in shock even though I had much hope for my future and saw the door opening wide to dreams I never imagined could ever possibly come true.
A year later, I have grown and learned SO much, and honestly? I would not trade any of the sorrow or pain I have experienced. It most certainly has made me a much stronger person with the help of God. I never ever could be as close to God as I feel now, if not for the trials I have gone through.
Moving on.....moving forward!!!!
Friday, October 10, 2008
Saturday, October 4, 2008
Hey all! I know it's been awhile. Life and work has kept me busy (I know, I know - I've been on Facebook a lot, but that doesn't require quite as much brain power!)
We're heading into our "2nd Tax Season" of sorts. October 15th is when the extended individual tax returns are due (the ones that didn't go out last April 15th). There's a LOT of procrastination where I work, so we will be slammed next week. Last year it went like this: Week 1 - I worked 37 hours (normally 30-35); Week 2 - I worked 52 hours; Week 3 - I worked 75.5 hours! This year I have worked only 50 hours this week (ONLY!) LOL
Okay, here is some catch-up from my life.
I AM WOMAN - HEAR ME ROAR! (rawr)
A couple years ago during a weird ice storm, a large upper branch on this tree broke off and has been gradually making its way down the tree. It finally got to the point where I was able to pull some of the dead pieces down (after many prayers of protection for the house, the deck, the window, the roof, and me!)
looking down from the deck - (this is a view of my messy patio that I hope to turn into a lovely sitting area next spring!)
Last weekend with the help of a rake and advice from Emily who was supervising, I was able to bring this baby down! It was resting on the tree and the roof (to the right, and just above my bedroom window), so I wanted to take it down manually before a giant windstorm did it for me and who knows what damage to the house.DOGGY UPDATE
Last week I celebrated (belatedly) my birthday with my girls from church. We ate at the Mother-in-Law House in Old St. Charles. Sorry I don't have pics from that. I got some nice gifts and cards, including these flowers. These are from Judy's garden.
Have a great rest-of-the-weekend!